Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Laws of Perfection Part II

I would try to be perfect. It was safer there.

~ Jane Fonda, My Life So Far



This quote introduces the chapter The Laws of Perfection in Aimee Liu's book Gaining.***

There is an illusion of safety and control in perfectionism. But it comes with more feelings of being "not good enough" because we are not perfect, none of us are...

I think true safety and peace comes from just being who we are, and accepting ourselves for who we are and who we aren't. I tried the "perfectionism" life for years and found no true safety and peace there...I was driven by fear of failure in everything I did...don't want to live there anymore...

peace, hope and love,

Lily

***Wow! what a book! It is full of great insight and information. I am highlighting it like a text book. It is helping me understand myself, not just while I was captive by ED, but who I was before ED and who I am now, several years into recovery.

No comments: