Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Happiness ED Promised












Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it.


~ Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)


Every time I see a scale I remember the days of my scale obsession. When I was sick, the scale I had ended up breaking from the obsessive use I gave it.

I remember thinking....If I could just loose more weight, I would be happy, everything would be alright. But of course, the number was never low enough and the happiness I was waiting for never came.

Depression, anxiety, fear, isolation, obsession, insomnia, hair loss, dizziness, chest pains, exhaustion....I know I don't want to go back there. I was miserable.

It is my choice to continue to do what works for me so I can be healthy and happy.

How about you? Is your eating disorder (ED) giving you the happiness it promised? Be honest.

peace, hope and love,

Lily

3 comments:

Heather Palacios said...

Lily, where is the line between being very conscientious about one's weight and having a disorder with it?

Lily said...

Hi Heather,
Here is some info to answer your question:

Between 5 per cent and 10 per cent of girls and women (i.e. 5-10 million people!!) and 1 million boys and men suffer from eating disorders, including anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, or other associated dietary conditions. Estimates suggest that as many as 15 percent of women adopt unhealthy attitudes and behaviors about food (disordered eating).

According to the US Department of Health, "far more common and widespread than defined eating disorders are atypical eating disorders, or disordered eating. Disordered eating refers to troublesome eating behaviors, such as restrictive dieting, bingeing, or purging, which occur less frequently or are less severe than those required to meet the full criteria for the diagnosis of an eating disorder.

Disordered eating may develop into an eating disorder. If disordered eating becomes sustained, distressing, or begins to interfere with everyday activities, then it may require professional evaluation."

A doctor and or therapist, can help the individual determine if the "very conscientious behaviors" one engages in are healthy, or motivated fear, anxiety and obsession.

The motivation/intention is different and so is the end result.

This is a very powerful distinction to make.

I will email you some additional info.

Hope you had a good weekend.

Lily :-)

Lily said...

correction: just read an article published today online and it says that 65 percent of women report disordered eating behaviors or symptoms consistent with eating disorders; so three out of four have an unhealthy relationship with food or their bodies.

note: the number I quoted in my previous post was from early 2000/2002

You can read today's full article here:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=37616

peace, hope and love,

Lily