Thursday, January 29, 2009

Coping Thoughts


When going through stressful times, we might not have someone to give us an encouraging word. In cases like these, we need to encourage ourselves and keep going.

Here are some coping thoughts that people find useful (Davis & Fanning 1997)

"This situation won't last forever."

"I've already been through many other painful experiences, and I've survived."

"This too shall pass."

"My feelings make me uncomfortable right now, but I can accept them."

"I can be anxious and still deal with the situation."

"I'm strong enough to handle what's happening right now."

"This is an opportunity for me to learn how to cope with my fears."

"I can ride this out and not let it get to me."

"I can take all the time I need right now to let go and relax."

"I've survived other situations like this before, and I'll survive this one too."

"It's okay to feel sad/anxious/afraid sometimes."

"My thoughts don't control my life. I do."

"I can think different thoughts if I want to."

"So what?"

"This situation sucks, but it is only temporary."

"I am strong and I can deal with this."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What are some of the coping thoughts that work for you?

peace, hope and love,

Lily

3 comments:

BZ Ward said...

Hi Lily! Such an interesting post. I think actually I have used a lot of those same phrases to cope. Funny how we can underestimate the power of our own words to reshift/refocus and settle our minds. Saying those things puts a situation into perspective.
You do an awesome work with your blog!

ann said...

during my most stressful moments i say to myself "just get through this part" to encourage myself to stick with it until the rough patch is over. if i realize there's nothing i can do i'll just say "well this sucks" and put my efforts into moving on.

Lily said...

Hi Barby and Ann! Thanks so much for stopping by :-)

We definitely underestimate the power of our own words to help us deal with a stressful situation.

I heard the other day that in times where we might not have someone to give us what we need most, it helps a lot to either give ourselves what we need or become that which we need to someone else.

Hope you girls have a good weekend :-)

peace, hope and love,

Lily