Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dependence, Independence and Interdependence









Dependence is the paradigm of you - you take care of me; you come through for me; you didn't come through; I blame you for the results.

Independence is the paradigm of I - I can do it; I am responsible; I am self reliant; I can choose.

Interdependence is the paradigm of we - we can do it; we can cooperate; we can combine our talents and abilities and create something greater together.

Dependent people need others to get what they want. Independent people can get what they want through their own effort. Interdependent people combine their own efforts with the efforts of others to achieve their greatest successes.

~ The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (p. 49)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In order to move towards recovery and freedom from addiction, we have to move away from dependence towards independence and interdependence.

What are some steps in recovery that you can take for yourself but no one can take for you?

What are some steps in recovery where you need other people in order to succeed? Not to do things for you, but to contribute to your recovery with their skills, abilities and experiences?

peace, hope and love,

Lily

2 comments:

Heather Palacios said...

This is GREAT leadHership advice. I never looked at those words that way before. My challenge is w/ interdependence, I often operate in the independent mode and God never meant for me to live that way. Even HE operates interdependently (the Trinity)

Lily said...

Glad you liked it Heat(her). Interdependence is the one I struggle with too. It seems safer to do things on my own than to open up, trust and rely on other people. but we are so totally not meant to do life alone!
Thanks for the great reminder :-)

Lily :-)