Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What I Learned Today









No, this is not a commercial about tires, Honda Civics (even though I am so very happy how my car performed today - kept me safe) or The Dukes of Hazzard, but my day today and the lesson I learned includes all three. Here it goes:

So I was driving to work today, in my 3 month old Honda Civic with three month old brand new tires. I have to admit, up until today, I do way too much while driving with the excuse that I am in bumper to bumper barely moving traffic. Since traffic was not moving much, I was driving, while putting on make-up, listening to a book on CD, with my blackberry/cell phone on my lap.

All of a sudden, I realized I was heading straight towards the car in front of me that had just stopped and I was going at 35 miles per hour. I hit the breaks and turned the wheel. Missed the car by a couple of inches (didn't hit the car thank God) and my car jumped (yes, jumped) on a sidewalk and the whole right side of my car stopped just inches from a fence. It was like a Dukes of Hazard moment (my favorite TV show growing up), but in a very bad way. Scariest moment I have spent in a car EVER.

Here are the lessons I learned and I wanted to share them with you:

1) The most important thing you can do and should focus on is whatever you are doing right now. Stay present. Stay in the moment.
2) Remember that small actions/decisions can lead to big consequences for you and for those around you.
3) Follow the advice of those that love you, want the best for you and are more experienced than you.
4) Learn from your mistakes.
5) Be willing to change/let go of behaviors that can harm you and others.
6) Be thankful that, despite decisions you have made even this morning, you still have a chance to make better choices from now on.
7) What you see on TV is not always as fun and as exciting as it is made out to be.
8) Forgive yourself.

That is what I learned today. In the end, there was no damage to other people or property. I walked away unharmed yet very shaken up and a whole lot wiser...and I busted one of my tires which I ended up having to get replaced at the dealer. Other than that, my car had no other damage.

My blackberry and makeup will stay in my purse and when it is time to drive, I will keep it safe and simple and just drive.

For those of you born in the 80's or later, just in case you don't know who they are, here is The Dukes of Hazard intro song from 1979. Never want to feel like I am driving the General Lee again...



peace, hope and love,

Lily

No comments: