Saturday, April 3, 2010

Reminders for the Week

These are some of the lessons/reminders I learned and re-learned this past week:

If I want to make a change in any area of my life, I should ask myself: what am I going to do next? instead of asking "what am I going to do for the rest of my life?"...the latter can be very overwhelming and create a lot of anxiety.

I can't teach someone insight. It comes with time, experience, growth and awareness of self and others. It's been a journey and a process for me and it is for everyone.

Most people, places and things are not all good or all bad which to me equals I am not all good or all bad. I don't have to be perfect. I just have to be me. I have lived this one for a while and am thankful that I practice it daily.

Who I am is not what I do for work. That's just how I make my money to live my life and be me. Many people tie their sense of identity to the work they do or how many letters come after their name. That's been me for many years...and, in my case, ever since I chose to leave medical school all those years ago, it has made me feel as Jennie Ketcham would say "less than" ...... I am not my job, that is just what I do. I am not the choices I have made up to this moment. That is just my past. My future does not have to be an extension of my past. I am a survivor, I am a smart, kind, compassionate woman. I'm insightful. I am a great friend. I am funny. I have integrity. I am loyal. I like the person I am becoming every day. It's been a long tough road, but looking back, it has been totally worth it...

Tonight I am thankful for the journey...

peace, hope and love,

Me

#####

No comments: