Friday, May 16, 2008

Reporting from Inside Your Head

It is so exhausting to worry all the time isn't it, to have your mind full of racing thoughts that seem to be chasing you and at the same time you chase but can never catch. Here is something I read the other day....

It helps to stop, and think of your problems as a reporter writing a story (you can write down what worries you if it helps and then share it with your support system).

Try breaking down your problems/worries into smaller pieces, like this....ask yourself:

The person involved (Who)

Time and setting (When/Where)

What bothers you about the situation (What)

How you usually respond or not (How)

What fears you have about consequences of being assertive in this situation (Fears)

Your behavior goal (Goal)

Who can help you reach this goal (Who)

Is there a step I can take right now towards this behavior goal? (Steps)

******************

I used to worry all the time and was chased and chased my racing thoughts incessantly in my head. I remember a therapist once told me: "Schedule time to worry!" and after that, put it away and do something for yourself. I try to do that as much as I can now.

Have a great weekend.

peace, hope and love,

Lily

No comments: