Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Scale by Kensington

I ran into this analogy on a recovery website and thought it was cool...

**************************
The Scale
Scales only have the power which we bestow upon them.

In reality, a scale is just a small household item made of metal & springs & dials.

A scale is a toaster is a blender is an electric toothbrush is a weed whacker.

Imagine if I said, "My self-worth is determined by the toaster."Sounds pretty weird, eh?

Or "I'm not good enough, the lawnmower said so!"

Or "I have to check with the blender to see if I like myself today."

The power only comes in when we choose to hand all of ours over to an inanimate object...

source:
Kensington - Administrator, Something Fishy, http://www.something-fishy.org/

**************************

Where do we get our value, our sense of worth? If we are getting it from the scale, the mirror, from the clothes we wear, the house we live in, the car we drive, etc....we might as well ask the blender!

It is an important part of recovery and of our life journey to find out...Our value does not depend on things external. We are all unique, gifted and talented in our own way. There is no one in the world like us...
I see potential in you when we meet on Sundays...I also see courage (just coming to group is corageous!!), strength, hope, empathy, tender-heartedness, openness, determination, perseverance...
We all have value and potential...Don't ask the blender!
Peace, Hope and Love,
Lily

2 comments:

timjayne2 said...

hi everyone,

first i want to thank everyone for their support on sunday..i'm not sure what happened, but i sure let go that night!
i feel good today..THANK YOU AUBREY for that great idea on the phone affirmations...i love it! also, thanks for showing me how to do it myself..i feel empowered!!
i loved "ask the blender". it certainly can put the scale into perspective..
this morning, i dropped ed off at a street corner when i was going to the gym...he will never find me today! I will enjoy this freedom!
wishing you all a powerful day!
jayne

Lily said...

you are so welcome Jayne! It was definitely a very powerful meeting, and I want to acknowledge you for being open and willing to share...I think one of the resons you opened up is because you feel the group is a safe place for you and that is so awesome!

Glad you liked the blender post and that you dropped off Ed on your way to the gym so he could not find you today! :-)

Talk to you soon,

Lily