Monday, July 9, 2007

Great Book: Life Without ED by Jenni Schaefer

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned last night at the meeting, I am reading Life Without ED by Jenni Shaefer. I know several of you have already. It is such an awesome book! I just wanted to share some good ideas from the book on this post, but hey! No substitute for reading it on your own if you haven't already!!!!

Here is one cool thing I have learned from Jenni (author) so far: One of the keys to recovery is that we have to learn to Distinguish between our eating disorder voice (Ed, our negative mind) and our healthy (genuine) voice. We also have to learn to Disagree AND most importantly Disobey Ed.

There is an excellent journaling exercise that asks you to answer these two questions every morning:


"1. What does Ed (my eating disorder) want me to do today?


2. What do I need to do today to be in recovery?"


This journal exercise makes for a great way to start separating ourselves from ED!

Life without Ed is a great read! Jenni's story is inspiring and real, plus the book has lots of ideas/activities (like the journal exercise above). I give it five stars so far!


Til next time,


Lily


No comments: