Friday, May 15, 2009

If you ever feel different...










Around this time every year you'll see my obligatory American Idol posts. I am a huge American Idol fan!

My favorite Idol contestant this year is Adam Lambert. Last week, the three finalists returned to their hometowns for a visit, local radio/tv appearances and to spend some time with their family, friends and fans.

During his packed schedule in San Diego, Adam requested to visit MET2 . MET2, The Metropolitan Educational Theater Network, is a "non-profit educational organization committed to providing young people with the unique opportunity to be active participants in the dramatic process as actors, singers, and dancers." Adam was part of MET2 from the time he was 8 'til the time he was 17.

Adam has repeatedly said during Idol interviews that he was always the weird kid, that he wasn't popular in high school because he was different, a drama geek.

I love the message her shared with the 200+ children from MET2 last week. The kids got to ask him questions and he had a question for them too. Here it is:

“How many of you feel a little different because you’re creative and in the arts? Well, just let it go. Say ‘I’m gonna be okay as a creative/artistic person and there’s nothing wrong with that.’ If you ever feel different, hold your head up high."

His question really touched my heart and made me think of all the times I felt different growing up: I was taller that most girls and guys in my class, I had glasses, braces and a back brace all at the same time for a while, I'd rather read than go to parties....still today I feel different sometimes (for example, I choose a different career path and life than most of my overachieving family)...

For many years I judged those different from me and was my toughest, worst judge and critic. I have learned to respect, embrace and be compassionate towards my differences and the differences in others.

How did you feel different growing up? How do you sometimes feel different today?

Next time you feel different, remember Adam's words during his visit to MET2:

“How many of you feel a little different because you’re X, Y, Z? Well, just let it go. Say ‘I’m gonna be okay as X, Y, Z person and there’s nothing wrong with that.'
If you ever feel different, hold your head up high."


peace, hope and love,

Lily



2 comments:

BZ Ward said...

Such a good reminder to be at peace with how God made us. There's courage in that, and I'm sure so much more fruitfulness in life! Thank you!

Lily said...

Hi Barby!
Thanks so much for stopping by! :-)
Totally!!! It is so important to be at peace with how God made us. There is so much courage, peace and freedom in that!

peace, hope and love,

Lily