Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On Anger

One of my favorite tv shows is "How I Met Your Mother" (Monday nights on CBS). It is similar to Friends. The whole storyline is actually a flashback. The main character, Ted Mosby, is telling his kids (in the future) the story of 'How I Met Your Mother'.

Ted shares a "lesson learned" with his kids at the end of every episode. This week, it was a lesson about anger. The girl that Ted was going to marry leaves him at the altar for someone else.

It takes him a while to learn this lesson. He first tries to avoid and ignore Stella, his anger and his pain....

So here is the lesson Ted shared with his kids:

"...and that was it, in that moment I wasn’t angry anymore. I could see that Stella was meant to be with Tony.

Kids,


You may think that your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone’s face. But there is a third option, you can just let it go. And only when you do that is it really gone, and you can move forward.

And that kids, was the perfect ending to a perfect love story. It just wasn’t mine. Mine was still out there, waiting for me..."


~ Ted Mosby, How I Met Your Mother

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Next time you are angry, I hope you remember Ted's lesson:

"You may think that your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone’s face. But there is a third option, you can just let it go. "

peace, hope and love,

Lily

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I hope I get there some day! Good quote to keep in mind.

<3 Lindsay

ann said...

and the sooner you let it go the better off you are. i like this quote also...

"He who angers you conquers you." ~Elizabeth Kenny

Lily said...

Hi Lindsay - I'm totally with you. This is a hard one for me, but it is so freeing to be able to let go.

Hi Ann Marie - Thanks so much for the quote! It is so true. While you are angry at someone that hurt you, they continue to control/hurt you.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for stopping by girls! Glad you enjoyed Ted's lesson. After grieving and healing from hurt and loss, we have to let go so we can be totally free...

Lily :-)

Counseling, Consulting, and Coaching said...

I loved the quote the moment I watched the show. Awesome catch Lily...great words to live by. PTC

Lily said...

Hi PTC,
Thanks so much for stopping by. I always look forward to Ted's lessons on 'How I Met Your Mother' :^)

I loved this one too. As soon as I saw it, I wanted to write it down and share on the blog.

Thanks for all you do.

Lily