Saturday, October 27, 2007

Who do I listen to?

Hi All,
I have been doing a lot of thinking this week....I've been trying to help someone that I care about but this someone does not want to be helped...and it got me thinking...we have to want recovery even though we might not know exactly how we are going to get there, we have to want to have a better life, no one can make that choice for us...no one can make that choice for you...

Going back to the medicine cabinet analogy, I think something else I would add to my medicine cabinet of recovery is: listening to others. This is not a easy one though.....because it begs the question: who do I listen to? I can't listen to everybody...

This brings to mind something I learned from Troy Gramling during one of his recent teaching series. He shared his criteria on who he listens to. I have incorporated this criteria into my medicine cabinet...

Who should I listen to? I should listen to those that

1. love me
2. believe in me
3. have my best interests at heart
4. are wiser than me in a certain area
5. are honest with me

all five are not always going to be there of course because #1 usually applies to friends and family, but your professional support system should meet #2 - #5...

it is hard to listen to others, sometimes even harder if we know, deep down inside, that they are some of these people.

so who are you listening to? who are you not listening to that you know deep down inside loves you, or believes in you, has your best interests at heart, is wiser than you in a certain area and/or is being honest with you? is this something you have to add to your medicine cabinet of recovery?

peace, hope and love,




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true. I have really been struggling with accepting help because with recovery, comes weight gain. I feel everyone is being dishonest with me jus to make me feel better. I do want help, and who better to help than those who really care?