Monday, May 7, 2007

On Negative Self-Talk

Hi all,
Awesome group last Sunday night! We had some honest, open and encouraging conversations on the impact of Self-Talk (our internal monologue) in determining our feelings and actions. We started to explore types of negative self-talk such as:
1. The Worrier (promotes anxiety)
2. The Critic (promotes low self esteem)
3. The Victim (promotes depression)
4. The Perfectionist (promotes chronic stress and burn-out)

When we worry, we tend to "Catastrophize" (think the absolute worst is going to happen) and we also underestimate our ability to cope and that causes anxiety. Reading the book Skinny Boy by Gary Grahl, I learned that we are strong-willed, determined people, not everyone has the will-power and the strength to go through an eating disorder. Imagine what we can do when we use our strength and determination towards our recovery! Wow!

During the next several weeks, try to identify these types of negative talk in yourself and challenge the negative mind with positive affirmations (For example: I can handle this, I'm ok just the way I am, I can make progress one day at a time, It's ok to make mistakes, My needs and feelings are important). Email me (browardanad@gmail.com) if you'd like me to send you some sample affirmations.

Also, every day, whether you journal or not, list on paper or in your mind, a couple of things you are thankful for...it changes our focus, from the negative to the positive...

What are you thankful for today? I am thankful for all of you, for your examples of courage, willingness, and hope for a healthy, happy life. For my wonderful family, my friends, Flamingo Road Church, my dog Mugsy, and even for mistakes that I have made, because even though sometimes painful, they have been lessons learned and have helped me grow.

Peace, Hope and Love,

Lily

No comments: