Friday, February 11, 2011

Shaken

Brennan: “I need to ask you some things.”
Booth: “You gonna ask me about God and the devil?”
Brennan: “Yes.”
Booth: “You’re going to ask me about how God could place such a burden on good people.”
Brennan: “No, I’m going to ask you how you still believe in a kind God after a case like this.”
Booth: “Is my faith shaken? Yeah, mmmhmm, it is.”
Brennan: “It is?”
Booth: “I’ll go home tonight and I’ll lie in bed; I’ll toss and I’ll turn, and I’ll beat myself up, and, uh, I’ll question everything.”
Brennan: “Will you get your faith back?”
Booth: “Always have in the past.”
Brennan: “So you have faith that you will retain your faith. Why?”
Booth: “Because, Bones, the sun will come up and tomorrow’s a new day.”
Brennan: “I know that feeling.”
Booth: “Really?”
Brennan: “Mmhmm.”
Booth: “You know what it feels like to get your faith back?”
Brennan: “When I see effects and I’m unable to discern the cause, my faith in reason and consequences is shaken.”
Booth: “And then what happens?”
Brennan: “Two plus two equals four. I put sugar in my coffee and it tastes sweet. The sun comes up because the world turns. These things are beautiful to me. There are mysteries I will never understand, but everywhere I look I see proof that for every effect, there is a corresponding cause, even if I can’t see it. I find that reassuring.”
Booth: “And life is good again.”
Brennan: “Life is very good.”
Booth: “Yes it is.”

#####

No comments: