Saturday, January 23, 2010

Friday Night Reflections

"All I ask is one thing, and this is....and I am asking this particularly of young people that watch: Please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism. For the record it is my least favorite quality. It doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you. It's just true!" ~ Conan O'brien



I just finished watching the last episode of the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien as host.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get." That's for sure! I have definitely used the bad choices I've made and the tough times I've been through as opportunities to grow and learn. It's the only way to move forward.

I've learned that I have to take care of myself and that it is ok to make mistakes. However, I have become somewhat cynical and don't trust others (and sometimes myself) as much as I used to. As Jennie Ketcham said the other day, it's like I used to trust people too soon, too fast. I would give 100% of my trust away almost immediately. That of course, lead to not so healthy relationships and not to healthy choices.

The problem is not in trusting people and the answer is not in putting walls up to protect myself. It's not all or nothing. If I trust too much, I put myself at risk, but if I don't trust at all, and protect myself from everyone and everything, I might not get hurt but at too high of a price. I'm safe inside the walls I put up but don't let anyone truly in. True, there are some people that don't deserve to be let into my world, but I can spot red flags pretty accurately these days...

I have to learn to trust in all the work I've done. I am a different person now, I am a healthier person now. I know what healthy boundaries are (God, do I practice them daily!!!). I am comfortable asserting myself. I say yes when I want to say yes, and no when I want to say no.

As I write this, I am curious as to what closer relationships would be like with me being the new stronger, healthier me...definitely worth a shot...!

GO TEAM COCO!!!! Thanks for the thoughtful words Conan!!

peace, hope and love,

Lily

No comments: