Thursday, January 24, 2008

Doing What You Love Part II - The Runner's Story

Hi All,
A couple of posts ago I shared a quote from George Burns that said: Every day, do something you love...

I am writing this post as a follow up to that quote, as a response to someone I do not know, but whose story I heard today and have heard many times before in the people that I have met that exercise compulsively as part of eating disordered behaviors.

"But I love to run! and my treatment team does not allow it...."

Obsessive/compulsive, addictive, self-destructive behaviors do not have true love and appreciation as a driving force.

"Compulsive behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive."

It is very different to engage in an activity when we are motivated by true enjoyment, love and appreciation than when fear, anxiety and obsession are mixed in the equation.

The motivation/intention is different and so is the end result.


This is a very powerful distinction to make.

To the runner I don't know, whose story I have heard many times before in those that exercise compulsively: I hope that one day, in the process of recovery and healing, you will come to truly love running again.

peace, hope and love,

Lily

No comments: